How Old is My Bates Bedspread? How to Estimate the Age of a Bates Bedspread
This guide offers a simple way to help age your Bates bedspread. To use this guide, you'll want to find the care label on your bedspread (usually sewn into one of the hems) or you can look at the packaging if you're lucky enough to have it available. Once you locate the label or packaging, you'll want to note which Bates logo is featured. Find the logo below, and you'll be able to estimate how old your Bates bedspread is.
Note: The George Washington's Choice Bedspread (known today as the "Martha Washington's Choice Bedspread") was released in 1940.
- Text below logo reads "Loomed to be Heirloomed."
- Queen Elizabeth Bedspread was released in 1952.
- Note: The Abigail Adams Bedspread was released in 1976.
1984 - 1990s
Note: Text reads "an employee owned company" below logo.
1990s - 2001
Note: A few iconic bedspread styles went by different names at this time:
- Abigail Adams: First Lady's Choice
- Queen Elizabeth: Elizabethan Court
- New England Tradition: American Tradition
- George Washington's Choice/Martha Washington's Choice: America's First
Note: When Bates closed in 2001, former President of Bates, Fred Lebel, started Maine Heritage Weavers in 2002. He continued to make the same Bates bedspreads with many of the former craftsmen and women of Bates under the Maine Heritage Weavers name until 2012. In 2012, he was able to procure the Bates trademark so that the bedspread could be "Bates" bedspreads again.